Monday, January 2, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ST. THERESE
JANUARY 2


Far from resembling those heroic souls who from their childhood use fast and scourge and chain to discipline the flesh. I made my mortifications consist simply in checking my self-will, keeping back an impatient answer, rendering a small service in a quiet way, and a hundred other similar things.

I have a longing for those heart-wounds, those pin-pricks which inflict so much pain. I know of no ecstasy to which I do not prefer sacrifice. There I find happiness, and there alone. The slender reed has no fear of being broken, for it is planted beside the waters of Love. When, therefore, it bends before the gale, it gathers strength in the refreshing stream, and longs for yet another storm to pass and sway its head. My very weakness makes me strong. No harm can come to me, since in whatever happens I see only the tender hand of Jesus...Besides, no suffering is too big a price to pay for the glorious palm.

I endeavored to practice little hidden acts of virtue, such as folding the mantles which the Sisters had forgotten and being on the altar to render them help. I had also a great attraction towards penance, although I was not allowed to satisfy the desire. Indeed the only mortification I was permitted was the overcoming of my self-love, which did me far more good than any bodily penance could have done.


Bl. Louis and Zelie Martin the holy parents of
St. Therese

The Martins' Beatification at Lisieux



  

Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, ocds
__________________


No comments: