Friday, December 11, 2009

Stained Glass Scapulars-Reflections on the Secular Carmelite Rule



The Blessed Virgin Mary is present in a very special way in the life of Carmelites. She is, first of all, their model in listening to the Lord and serving Him. She is also Mother of the whole Order, which enjoys her special patronage.

The Secular Carmelites' interior life must be permeated by an intense devotion to Our Lady. This will be manifested by honoring her daily by some particular act, and by wearing the holy Scapular of Carmel.
(Article #7)

The first sentence of Article 7 of our Rule should bring us great joy: The Blessed Virgin Mary is present in a very special way in the life of Carmelites. Really, to simply raise our thoughts to contemplate the Virgin Mary and her love for us, should bring us great joy!  We know that Carmel belongs to Mary, therefore, she belongs to each member in a special way.  This truth reminds me of that simple consecration prayer to Mary:

O Mary, my Queen and my Mother
I give myself entirely to you, and to
show my devotion to you I consecrate
to you this day, my eyes, my ears, my mouth,
my heart, my whole being, without reserve.
Wherefore, Good Mother, as I am thine, keep me
and guard me as your own property and possession.

Yes, when we become Carmelites we belong totally to Christ through the Virgin Mary of Mt. Carmel.  This simple prayer of consecration should also remind us of the Gospel exhortation in which Jesus explains the Great Command: To love God with our whole mind, heart, and strength, and our neighbor as ourself.  This is the simple yet great teaching of our holy parents, St. John of the Cross and St. Teresa of Jesus.  We know through their teachings that we cannot attain union with God without loving our neighbor. We must die completely to self and give our whole being over to God for his service.  We cannot love and serve unless we have the help of the Holy Spirit, the Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary.


In this holy season of Advent, let us be true to our Carmelite calling by imitating the Virgin Mary who pondered the Word in her heart. She waited for the coming of the Lord in peace and in prayer.  Is not our charism of contemplative prayer a holy reflection of the Virgin's waiting-of all of creation's waiting for the Savior?  Each time we enter into mental prayer it should be as if for the first time in anticipation of His coming to meet us and commune with us.
Let our hearts be not troubled if we experience dryness or emptiness in prayer, this is necessary for our progress in holiness. We can be at peace if we make the effort to show up at the designated time for prayer and simply say: Here I am Lord!

May the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel, help us to wait for Him, and when He speaks, to listen to Him.




Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, OCDS
_________________


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this, Rosemarie..I so look forward to this thread.
Corinne from the Brighton,Massachusetts
Community