Monday, August 30, 2010

SPIRITUAL LIFE DICTIONARY

TODAY'S TERM:
PURITY OF INTENTION

For our actions to be meritorious it is enough, according to many theologians, that they be inspired by any supernatural motive: fear, hope or love. It is true that St. Thomas requires that our actions be at least virtually under the influence of charity through a preceding act of love the influence of which still endures. He adds, however, that this condition is fulfilled in all those that perform any lawful action whilst in the state of grace: For those in the state of grace every act is meritorious or demeritorious.

The intention is the principal element in our actions; it is the eye that sheds its light upon them and directs them toward their end, it is the soul that animates them and gives them their worth in God's sight.
From the Spiritual Life by Rev. Adolphe Tanquerey #239

St. John of the Cross, speaking of moral goods, and the ability of the Christian to rejoice in them:

Christians, then, should rejoice not if they accomplish good works and abide by good customs, but if they do these things out of love for God alone, without any other motive. As those who work only for the service of God will receive a more elevated reward of glory, so those who work for other motives will suffer greater shame when they stand before God.
Collected Works of St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mt. Carmel, Chap. 27, No. 5

Let us pray for each other, that through prayer ,that gives self-knowledge, we may purify our intentions and be aware of our selfish motives. May the Holy Spirit burn out any hidden desires we have to glorify ourselves. May the Holy Spirit create in us a clean and pure heart!

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.

Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.
Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I may love only what is holy.
Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, that I may defend all that is holy.
Guard me, O Holy Spirit, that I myself may always be holy.
— Augustine of Hippo





Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, OCDS
____________________

No comments: