Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Carmelite Quote


The "practice of the presence of God" is a technique one uses to remember God throughout the day.  It is a very useful technique for beginners who wish to undertake quiet prayer. However, one must pray for the grace to persevere, because this technique requires discipline. But as Brother Lawrence describes below, the soul to whom God blesses with this interior prayer; he enjoys continual interior union with Him.

By the presence of God and by this interior gaze, the soul comes to know God in such a way that is passes almost all its life in making continual acts of love, adoration, contrition, trust, actions of grace, offering, petition and of all the most excellent virtues; and sometimes it even becomes one endless act because the soul is always engaged in staying in this divine presence.

I know you will find few persons attain this state; it is a grace which God grants only to certain chosen souls...
Excerpt from The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection,Translated by John J.Delaney

These words of Brother Lawrence should not let us lose heart. Because he goes on to say that if God does not freely give this gift to us, we can still practice the presence of God and acquire a state of prayer that is similar to this exalted state. So, keep in mind there is hope for the soul who desires the heights of mystical union with God.  Let us pray for each other!

Here is the prayer of a holy Carmelite who has reached that exalted state:
May my life be a continual prayer, a long act of love. May nothing distract me from You, neither noise nor diversions. O my Master, I would so love to live with You in silence. But what I love above all is to do Your will, and since You want me to still remain in the world, I submit with all my heart for love of You. I offer You the cell of my heart; may it be Your little Bethany. Come rest there; I love You so...I would like to console You, and I offer myself to You as a victim, O my Master, for You, with You.
Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity

 
 

Peace be with you!
Rosemarie
_____________________

No comments: