Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday in the Year for Priests


So there we were in church. My old friend set me down in a pew facing the sacristy. Soon the door opened and the Cure of Ars came out, wearing his sacred vestments. His eyes met mine. It was only a quick look, but it penetrated to the depths of my heart. I felt crushed under this gaze. I bowed low. I hid my  head in my two hands. I remained motionless throughout the Mass. After Mass I tried to raise my heavy head, and decided to leave. But as I was passing by the sacristy where the crowd was gathering, I heard these words:
 Everybody leave, everybody leave!"

At the same time a bony hand was laid on my hand, and I was drawn as by an invincible force. The door closed behind me. I found myself face-to-face with this gaze that had left me thunderstruck. I stammered a few words:

Monsieur le Cure, I have a weight on my shoulders that is crushing me.
 A voice of angelic gentleness, that did not seem to come from any human breast, answered me:

"My friend, you must get rid of it as soon as possible. Get on your knees. You will tell me your poor life, and Our Lord will take your burden upon Himself, for He has said: "Come to Me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest."

Then my anxiety seemed to disappear a little...I began to tell this holy man the story of my life since the time of my First Communion.

While I spoke he sprinkled me with his tears, and at times he would exclaim: "How merciful is the good God! How he has loved you!"

From the Remarkable Cure of Ars, by Michele de Saint Pierre




Peace be with you!
Rosemarie
_______________________

No comments: