Thursday, November 4, 2021

Carmelite Quote


Photo Source: Wikipedia





St. Raphael Kalinowski
1835-1907

From a letter to his parents describing his call to Carmel:

A year ago there came to me, like an echo, a voice from the grilles of Carmel. This voice was clearly addressed to me and I have accepted it; it was a salvific voice from the infinite mercy of God commanding me. I can only exclaim, 'I will sing the mercies of the Lord forever.'

St. Raphael founded a Carmelite monastery in Wadowice, Poland the city where our late Holy Father, Pope St. John Paul II was born. To learn more about this little-known Carmelite saint, read Saint Raphael Kalinowski: An Introduction to His Life and Spirituality available from ICS Publications. 

Thought for today: Could you describe your conversion/call to Carmel in just a few short sentences as St. Raphael has done? What would you say if someone asked you?


Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, OCDS

2 comments:

Erin said...

Welcome Home! I'm so glad you're back! And so thankful for your generousity! I definitely feel like more graces have been given to me as I know how weak I am, and I would not have been able to overcome things on my own without the help of God! It looks like you had a nice trip! Whenever you're rested send me an e-mail I'd love to hear all about it!

In answer to the thought of the day: My Lord has called me to Him through His mother. I believe His call to me is in the stillness of silent prayer in order that He may form me as He sees fit. Only He can keep me from my own destructiveness and keep the fire in my heart burning for His love!Words are not really adequate to describe His call it must be lived out in love and perseverance.

Rosemarie said...

Erin,
Thanks for your "Welcome Home!" It truly was a blessed pilgrimage. It was encouraging to be among so many people who love the Church, Our Holy Father, and of course, our Holy Mother, Mary!

Many pilgrims don't know this, but there is a mass in the Grotto each evening (in French)at 11pm, followed by a half hour of adoration. Many times the Bishop of Tarbes/Lourdes celebrates this mass. He is especially reverent. Celebrating mass each evening in the quiet of the Grotto when the crowds have disappeared is always the highlight of our pilgrimage.
Our Lady of Lourdes, pray for us!