Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fourth Song: Piety

By the gift of Piety, the Holy Spirit infuses in us a reverence for God and the things of Heaven. This gift prompts us to love God and neighbor.

St. Teresa writes about the state of this soul with the gift of piety in her third mansion of the Interior Castle. She says these people love to spend time with His Majesty. They are fond of hearing the Word of God and listening to sermons, which may cause them to shed gentle tears.

We may have a perverted notion of the gift of piety. When you call someone pious, it almost has a negative connotation to it. The true gift of piety, is sincere, holy, and a condition of the heart. It is not merely "appearing" to be holy by our behavior and actions.

Thinking of the Gift of Piety brings to mind Jesus' Sermon on the Mount:Blessed are those who hunger for holiness, they will have their fill. As Carmelites called to contemplative prayer, we need to constantly challenge ourselves and ask the hard questions:

*Do I simply observe the letter of the (Carmelite) Law by just giving to God what is required and nothing more; 1/2 hour of mental prayer each day. Or do I seek to spend extra time in silent prayer, perhaps in adoration before the Blessed Sacrament. Do I have a real hunger to spend time with the Lord?

*Do I love the Word of God and spend time with the Lord in silent meditation, listening for Him to speak? Or, do I just do the minimum requirement of 1/2 hour of spiritual reading per day, and even that is a drudgery for me. Do I hunger for the Word of God and ponder it in my heart in imitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary?

*Do I try to live a Eucharistic centered life by attending daily mass when possible? Do I have a real hunger and longing to receive Jesus in the Holy Eucharist?

As Carmelites, we are called to seek the face of God in prayer on behalf of the Church. We have promised to do this with our brothers and sisters and all of heaven as witnesses of our holy commitment. We are also called to live the Beatitudes. Our promise formula states:

I, ______________desiring to follow the Crucified and risen Christ in the Secular Order of Carmel, renew my profession/vow, and I promise to tend toward Evangelical Counsels of Chastity, Poverty and Obedience, and of the Beatitudes, according to the Rule of Life of the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites.

I confidently entrust my promise/vow to the Virgin Mary, Mother and Queen of Carmel.

Let us ask Our Lady of Mt. Carmel to obtain for us from the Holy Spirit the true gift of infused Piety. A piety that will set our hearts of fire for God and the things of Heaven!

Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, ocds
___________________



2 comments:

Erin said...

Your blog is very inspirational to me as a fellow Catholic and admirer of the Carmelites and their spirituality. God bless you and the message you share!

~Erin

Rosemarie said...

Thanks for your encouragement Erin! I'll be happy to visit your blog as well. Let us pray for each other!
Rose