Thursday, September 25, 2008

Novena to St. Therese of the Child Jesus

St. Therese embracing the cross in the cloister garden.

Novena to St. Therese
Third Day-Abandonment




The heart of St. Therese's "spiritual childhood" is total abandonment to the will of God. Sometimes as Carmelites we forget the other part of Therese's message: suffering. Yes, she abandoned herself to God through holy suffering.



People who read about St. Therese for the first time, perhaps reading Story of a Soul, find her simple and sweet. This is certainly not the case when one studies her writings. I would highly recommend the book St. Therese of Lisieux her last conversations, translated by John Clarke, OCD. This book lays out page by page St. Therese's total abandonment to the will of God through heroic suffering.



This abandonment is not an attitude of o.k. whatever happens, happens, I will deal with it. No, this holy abandonment in the life of a Carmelite is found in the waiting upon the Lord in prayer from moment to moment, ready to accept the joys and sufferings that He wills. And to accept all from his loving hand with a spirit of joy and peace.



Near the end of her life when speaking of her great suffering St. Therese stated, "If i did not simply live from one moment to another it would be impossible for me to be patient, but I look only at the present. I forget the past and I take good care not to forestall the future. When we yield to discouragement or despair, it is usually because we think too much about the past or the future."



She also said, "I thank Thee, O my God, for all the graces Thou hast bestowed on me, and particularly for having made me pass through the crucible of suffering."



Let us as Carmelites pray to have the grace to imitate her total willingness to embrace the cross and rejoice in following Jesus on the narrow road of salvation.





Novena Prayer



O Little Therese of the Child Jesus, please pick for me a rose from the heavenly gardens and send it to me as a message of love.



O Little Flower of Jesus, ask God today to grant the favors I now place with confidence in your hands...(Mention your request)



St. Therese, help me to always believe as you did, in God's great love for me, so that I might imitate your "Little Way" each day. Amen


Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, OCDS

No comments: