Friday, July 31, 2009


Saint of the Day:
St. Ignatius

St. Ignatius was born in 1491. He spent his early years at court and as a soldier. Later he was converted to God and studied in Paris where he attracted his first followers, and afterward at Rome he joined them together as the first members of the Society of Jesus. He exercised a most fruitful apostolate both by his written works and in the forming of his disciples who won great praise for their renewal of the Church. He died at Rome in 1556.

St. Ignatius is well-known for his writings on the discernment of spirits. This is very important in the spiritual life, especially in regards to contemplative prayer. St. Teresa teaches us that we should be wary of consolations, She tells us that the devil can counterfeit these gifts. She also says it is good to have a spiritual director to help us discern the gifts. Beginners in the spiritual life, especially need help in discernment. Many times the Lord sends consolations to the soul in the beginning to keep the soul attracted to Him. Once the favors cease, testing our faith, many people give up the prayer life.

Let us pray for each other, that we follow St. John of the Cross and seek the Lord on the narrow road of prayer, a road that is dark, yet full of light, when we travel by faith alone.

Post Communion Prayer of St. Ignatius
Take, O Lord, and receive my entire liberty.
My memory, my understanding, and my whole will,
All that I am, all that I possess,
You have given me.
I surrender it all to You,
to be disposed of
According to Your will.
Give me only Your love
And Your Grace, with these
I shall be rich enough,
And desire nothing more.

Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, OCDS
___________________

No comments: