Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tabernacle of the Week

 Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio

Our Lord spoke to me and made me understand how lonely and abandoned He is in the Tabernacles. He asked me to keep Him company. Then He gave me my vocation, and said that He wanted my heart for Himself. He also told me I would become a Carmelite. From that moment I spent entire days in intimate conversation with Our Lord and felt happy to be alone. I was not living at this time my own life, but Jesus was living in me. I got up at seven. I did everything with Jesus and for Jesus. Our Lord showed me what holiness is. I would attain it by doing everything as well as possible.

St. Teresa of Jesus of the Andes (from her diary written at about the age of 14)

We can see in St. Teresa's writing her simplicity and purity of heart. What a simple rule for holiness Jesus taught her: "Our Lord showed me what holiness is. I would attain it by doing everything as well as possible." We know that the saints are filled with the Holy Spirit and not only do everything "well" but with great love.

Fr. Thomas Dubay, who has written extensively on Carmelite spirituality has mentioned more than a few times that Saints do not "cut corners." Let us learn from St. Teresa to do everything well. This may present a challenge at times when we want to take a short-cut on the spiritual road, but let us keep close to Jesus and spend time with him in the Blessed Sacrament. He will give us the grace we need to do everything with love.



Peace be with you!
Rosemarie, OCDS

No comments: